Friday, April 24, 2009

Memories

Not all of you know me. Those of you that do could confirm the fact that I was exactly the opposite of domestic 3 years ago. When Braden & I started living together, I could not even cook eggs. Luckily, my mom lived close, and we pretty much ate dinner at her house every night, or ordered out. But when we moved to Queen Creek and had Olivia, we were about 45 minutes away from my mom so we couldn't go over there as often. Something had to be done, or we were going to starve, so being home with a newborn in a town that we didn't know anyone gave me a lot of time to watch tv. And what I chose to watch back then was Food Network. I am not exaggerating when I say it was on for 8 hours a day at our house. I turned it on when I woke up, and left it on until I made dinner. It was because of those celebrity chefs like Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Giada, Emeril, and Ina Garten that I can cook anything other than toast now. And the very first recipe I used from the Food Network is this pancake recipe. The trick is the nutmeg, it "adds a little bit of warmth to your food" in the words of Giada.





I make these at least once a week for my kids and they gobble them up. They are best when you slice bananas & strawberries on top and slather with real butter, good maple syrup, and homemade whipped cream. Once in a while, when we were little, my momma used to pick a random night and we would have chocolate chip pancakes with ice cream, syrup & whipped cream on top. Those were the very best nights. She would make my Grandma Rosemary's pancakes that my dad grew up with. My dad told me once that his mom would make them pancakes every single morning for breakfast. And that is one of the best memories from his childhood.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that having a family is hard work and most of us think its a pain to cook all the time. But I promise that when you take the time to make something special for your kids, they are going to remember it. It may be the most special thing about someone's childhood. Make a memory, and make your babies some pancakes.

6 comments:

Calli O. said...

Im glad I'm not the only one the watches that network every day!! I'm with you... I actually enjoy cooking, I just wish the dishes would magically disappear!
PS Sorry I went MIA after telling you about my ideas and visions, we'll talk soon!
PPS We need to organize a summer bake-off!!

Stacy said...

One of my favorite memories is my mom making me french toast in the morning. That is my favorite meal, which I can eat, and feel like eating, even when I'm not feeling well. It's delicious. Cute post!

Fawn Becker said...

Same here Rosemary, I could not cook until after I had Kali and I decided to stay home with her. Good 'ol foodnetwork to the rescue! That is a sweet memory your dad has of Great Aunt Rosemary, it so sad that he lost her when he was so young. Oh and we are still sick... all of us :( i will let you know when we are going to go to the museum.

The Garlock's said...

It is true, I never thought you would be married, settled down with three kids and being Mrs. Suzy homemaker with all your cooking and crafts but you do a good job at it all. PS I love all the recipes and hopefully I can try some of them one day soon!

Kindy said...

Yum! That recipe sounds good! But of course Grandma Rosemary pancakes will always be the best! My mom use to make them all the time too.

Unknown said...

love this post. i need babies to be able to complete the mission though. I dont know if you know but pancakes are basically my favorite food. EVEA. therefore, you know exactly where this recipe is going

ps. i am so excited for tomorrow night. my mouth is watering. i can't wait for the butter dripping down my face. i'm fat. crab legs here we come.