Monday, July 20, 2009

I Heart Smeeks


I found this website, The 3/50 project, via another blog I was cruising through. It has some pretty amazing info on it, all saying how we as consumers can save small businesses if we spend $50 a month at a locally owned store, rather than at chains/franchises. Don't get me wrong, I love malls and I think that online stores are great too (especially Etsy! I also heart handmade) but I think that supporting the independent Brick & Mortars is so important for the community. I'm going to start featuring small business on the site to try and get people out and about to discover these Phoenix gems. Who's with me?

Today, I actually ventured into the city and drove my 3 chicklets to Camelback & Central Ave. to check out a new little shop called Smeeks. Behold the adorable facade:


The inside is just as adorable, but I was a little busy trying to keep my kids from grabbing everything with their grubby little hands. They have every kind of old fashioned candy you could ever want, little trinkets and birthday party things to keep my kids thoroughly entertained. They even have a little photobooth in the shop, which we will play with next time. For $10.50 My kids all got lollies, a rock candy swizzle stick for daddy, and necco candy dots for me. Red, white & turquoise happen to be one of my fave color combos by the way


And the staff is super nice too. I forgot to put my wallet in my diaper bag from my purse at home, but the girl working let me call her with my card from home. She said she couldn't bear to take the candy away from my adorable kids (her words, not mine.) Believe me, they weren't so adorable once we got home. They had blue & pink faces, sticky candy hair, Landen threw up all over himself halfway home, and Penelope screamed her head off once I took away her lollie to get her out of her carseat. All in all, a pretty decent day. If you are ever in the area, go to Smeeks. It's worth it.


3 comments:

Jess said...

Yay for Smeeks! I love that place. I'm on Camelback and Central (less than a block from the shop). Damn you for not calling me for backup. ;)

Unknown said...

camelback and central via surface streets... oh damn that calls for a long ride! that place looks freaking adorable. i loves. if you did happen to venture again call me up, yo.

Stacy said...

Thanks for the awesome info! My daughters birthday is coming up so it'll be fun to go there and grab somethings for her birthday party! :)